Wireless broadband to cost R3.1bn
17 October 2007
The rollout of wireless broadband by the state-owned signal transmitter Sentech is expected to cost R3.1-billion over the next four years.
Of this, the Department of Communications has bid for R2.5-billion to be allocated to it in the medium-term budget statement which will be delivered by Finance Minister Trevor Manuel in two weeks' time.
The department's Deputy Director General, Harry Mathabathe, told a press conference in Parliament on Wednesday that of the total, R500-million had already been allocated in the last session of parliament, and the final amounts were expected to be generated from Sentech's own resources.
The wireless broadband network will eventually cover the entire country, but initially Mathabathe said, its priority will be to bring broadband to remote districts, schools, health facilities and government departments. It will benefit in particular home affairs offices and the Thusong local multipurpose centres....
Recent South African News Articles
The strong rally in Telkoms share price has continued, with the counter touching a fresh five-year high of R70 in early trading on the JSE on Tuesday. Since its low point 18 months ago, TelkomҒs share price has now climbed by just shy of 500 percent. A R10 000 investment in Telkom on 6 May May 2013, when its share bottomed at R11,93/share, would today be worth R48 676. The last time Telkoms share price traded at such levels was before it disposed of ...
Trade union Solidarity on Thursday warned Telkom not to use race in deciding which employees to retrench.
Solidarity today gave Telkom a final warning to abandon the race criteria it uses for retrenchments,Ӕ the unions industry head Marius Croucamp said in a statement.
He said it was unlawful to do so.
ғHow can any employer penalise an employee based on his or her race in the decision-making process to retrench people? This criterion i...
Telkom will consider employment equity in its latest round of planned job cuts, which could affect more than 2 600 management-level employees, a media report said on Wednesday.
This means that partially state-owned and JSE-listed telecommunications operator plans to target white, male employees when making job cutsӔ, according to a report published by Bloomberg, which quotes trade unions as its source.
White males, the news agency says, make up...
Cell C has upped the ante in South Africas mobile price war. The mobile operator has slashed prepaid call rates to 66c/minute, from 99c/minute previously.
The new 66c tariff excludes its Supacharge recharge benefits, which will continue to be available on its 99c/minute prepaid plans. Cell CҒs move comes a month after MTN cut its prepaid rates to 79c/minute on per-second billing. Vodacom has also cut its rates to 79c/minute, but only on a promotio...
Vodacom intends expanding the size of its network in Gauteng dramatically in the next financial year, with plans to add 555 4G/LTE towers in the province by the end of March 2015.
The expansion, which also includes the deployment of new 2G and 3G sites, forms part of Vodacoms intention to spend about R9bn on its network in the 2015 financial year, which begins on 1 April. By way of comparison, Vodacom spent about R7bn in South Africa in the 2014 financi...
THE fight by cellphone operators against plans by the Independent Communications Authority of SA (Icasa) to reduce call fees is intensifying.
On Wednesday, Vodacom filed court papers to stop the sector regulator from cutting mobile termination rates fees cellphone companies charge each other for calls. MTN filed a similar case less than two weeks ago.
Icasa plans to cut the fees by half to 20c a minute. But MTN and Vodacom would have to pay smaller ...
Telkom has weighed in on the battle raging in the telecommunications industry over mobile termination rates, the fees operators pay each other to carry calls between their networks. Group CEO Sipho Maseko says recent moves to oppose reduced rates, which will take effect on 1 April, will delay reducing the cost of calls to consumers and are not in the public interest.
MTN has taken communications regulator Icasa to court, accusing it of not following due...
Dominant incumbents are typically defensive when any attempt is made to curb their otherwise abusive behaviour, but isnt MTN taking it a bit far? Not content to make ғsuper-normal profits (more than normal profits, or the amount of revenue generated after paying costs, by a monopoly) for nearly 15 years, MTN wants to choke the consumer further by refusing to accept regulatory intervention under law, by sector regulator Icasa.
As Research ICT Afric...
MOBILE network operator Cell Cs acting CEO, Jose dos Santos, on Thursday said rival MTNҒs court action to stop the communications regulator from implementing new rates was an attempt to avoid losing customers.
Mr Dos Santos pointed out that in its founding affidavit filed on Wednesday, MTN had said it believed the new pricing structure would be irreversible once implemented, and would change the structure of the market. "It means they will lose cu...
Communications regulator Icasa expects Vodacom to join MTN in demanding it does away with new wholesale inter-network pricing regulations, MPs heard on Tuesday.
Vodacom last week indicated it would institute a legal challenge, but has not yet served any papers on Icasa.
Briefing parliaments communications portfolio committee, Icasa councillor Nomvuyiso Batyi confirmed the receipt of a letter from MTN.
It asked for the immediate removal of recently...